11 February 2011

255th Day

MC graduation May 2009
Chicago July 2010
I suppose I'm just in a thankful mood for the wonderful men in my life - yesterday my father, today my maternal grandfather.  Harry William Gleckler was born on this day in 1931 - today he is 80 years old and still as spry as ever (well, as much as an 80 year old who thinks he's still 25 can be). He's probably finished his breakfast by now and is out feeding cows this morning. The snow has sent the men inside, but soon spring will arrive and he'll not hesitate to jump in the tractor to plant. I love and admire his work ethic and dedication to farming. I am amused by his interest in everything and his sense of humor. I am envious of his storytelling abilities. Happy Birthday, Grandpa Harry! Grandfathers are a blessed thing.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwww!
    What an awesome post!
    May I add my congratulations on the 80th birthday?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pass along the well wishes.

    Also, I must add that after speaking with him on the phone last night that he spent the morning of his 80th birthday helping a cow give birth to twins at 6a.m.! Oh the life of a cattle farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think, Paige, of Chicago--and how many granddaughters of downstate cattle farmers have had adventures there just like you. You *really are* part of a much larger whole.
    A w e s o m e.

    ReplyDelete