19 June 2010

Nineteenth Day

While I realize that I am breaking one our our unwritten rules by posting two photos, I just must share these two.  Traveling eastward from Iowa through northern Illinois is simply breathtaking. If you have not had the opportunity to do so, jump right in your car and head there.  After Galena, before one reaches the darling town of Elizabeth, there is an impressive overlook tower that is unfortunately closed "indefinitely."  A handful of years ago, my family vacationed in Galena and we made the short trip to this tower.  While I'm sure that I noted the peaceful rolling hills then, today their beauty captivated me much more. I don't know if it is due to age and wisdom (har, har), or simply the country girl turned city girl longing for wide open spaces, but I could not help but be mesmerized by this piece of God's country, as my dad calls it.  While Sara Groves was inspiring me along my drive with her lyrics: "I want to add to the beauty, to tell a better story.  I want to shine with the light that's burning up inside.  This is grace, an invitation to be beautiful." I'm struck by the fact that this place is incapable of being any more beautiful. It is perfect just as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment